Table Of Contents
Can I drink decaf coffee while pregnant? Many women who become pregnant are thinking: shouldn’t you switch to decaf? The effect of coffee on pregnancy is not fully understood. Although scientists regularly conduct diverse studies, willing to join a small sample and the results cannot be declared final. All have a different body; pregnancy has its own peculiarities. It is impossible to resolve or forbid something unequivocally. Also, frequently changing preferences, and coffee girls can’t hear the smell of espresso. Those who used to drink only tea, crave coffee around the clock.
You need to understand how caffeine affects the body which helps to decide whether to move to a decaffeinated coffee or better give it up.
Can I drink decaffeinated coffee during pregnancy
In General, the answer is Yes. If caffeine is not prohibited in principle (and contained in tea, chocolate, cocoa, Cola and many other products), then, within reasonable limits, it is valid. And in small doses (up to 200 milliliters per day) you can drink even natural grain drink if there are no complications and risks.
It is better to give up coffee (including decaf) if gestation occurs with the following features:
- Increased acidity of the stomach, frequently heartburn, ulcers, gastritis, because organic acids can increase the secretion of gastric juice and stimulate the gallbladder, thereby making the pain more pronounced;
- High blood pressure, the vessels are so compressed, and caffeine even after removal remains minimal doses (0,08 – 0,1%), and the child loses nutrients.
- Problems with the kidneys and the urinary system coffee chemicals can directly or indirectly to dehydrate the body, which will cause a more frequent urge to visit the toilet and will need to drink more water.
The use of decaffeinated coffee
That’s right: in small quantities, decaf coffee is beneficial for pregnant womens.
- Improves brain function, maintains mental clarity, helps with concentration. It is important for those women who continue to work during pregnancy, driving, or feel that they have become more diffuse;
- You can drink even at night, that saves with the vagaries of pregnancy when suddenly there’s this urge a certain product. Even when the ban on coffee to drink 3-4 SIPS decaffeination – it will not hurt the body and will not disturb sleep;
- Potassium and magnesium are beneficial for the cardiovascular system; the iron improves the blood, phosphorus is important for bones. That’s all you need and the woman, and her unborn child, which is formed and grows.
In any case, if you are in doubt between the normal and decaffeinated drink, it is better to give preference to the latter, at least during pregnancy.
How to choose coffee without caffeine
Do not assume the first decaf healthier than the regular coffee. And certainly you should not drink instant, sold on the shelf of a regular store, its damage will be more. It is better to buy ground coffee or coffee beans in specialized stores or ordered via the Internet. If you are going to take care of your health during pregnancy and lactation, you should do it responsibly. And here are a few recommendations:
- In the Arabica default less caffeine than Robusta, about 1.2% compared to 2.5%. And the less caffeine originally in the grain, the shorter the treatment process, and therefore retains more nutrients.
- Fry the green beans, which have undergone decaffeination, more difficult, and requires specialized roasters. They are expensive, and can only afford big brands. Buy coffee from well-known manufacturers (grain or ground) to protect themselves from fraud and guaranteed to obtain a quality drink.
- The longer the roasting process, the less caffeine remains. Choose grains with dark roasting.
Good decaffeination grain supplies “Montana Cofee” (Ethiopia and Colombia), the ground can be found the brand “Lavazza”, “Green Mountain”, “Cafe Altura”. It is clear that odor and taste can be slightly different from the usual coffee of the same brands, but is checked by the manufacturers, and a reasonable amount of drink not hurt.
How to make decaffeinated coffee for pregnant women
Although decaf coffee and so minimum content of this material (5-10 times and more), the making method also affects the strength and advantage.
- The most harmless option – espresso from the coffee machine, diluted to an Americano or a latte with milk or water. There will be a minimum of caffeine.
- In second place – cooking in the coffee pot, coffee Eastern. Important to make sure that it is not boiling, and remove from heat as soon as you see the first signs of foam. Immediately strain it into a Cup through a filter to hold the grounds.
- The French press is not the best solution, as there is a longer contact with water (about 4 minutes). Specialists to reduce the level of caffeine brewing is recommended to drink no more than 3 minutes at this time of the nutrients will have time to go into the water, and the caffeine extract will only begin to unfold.
- Cream or milk is a great addition, especially because they add calcium, washed caffeinated drinks.
- If not prohibited by caffeine (even in tea or chocolate), drink decaffeinated coffee during pregnancy.
- Better not to get involved, and to drink 1-2 cups per day, diluting the drink with water or milk.
- Can’t drink decaffeinated drink during pregnancy, if there is gastrointestinal disease, heartburn, ulcers, problems with blood pressure or the urinary system.
- In any case, you need to consult with a doctor and monitor your condition.