The symptoms of an overdose of Carvedilol include heart failure, bradycardia, a marked reduction in blood pressure, cardiogenic shock, cardiac arrest. Sometimes vomiting, bronchospasm, respiratory failure, clouding of consciousness and generalized convulsions. In this case, it is recommended that the correction and continuous monitoring of vital signs. If necessary, require hospitalization in an intensive care unit.
It is also permissible to carry out such activities as the introduction of sympathomimetics [epinephrine (adrenaline), dobutamine] in various doses depending on the response of the body to maintenance therapy and body weight, the appointment of atropine intravenously (0.5-2 mg) with pronounced symptoms of bradycardia and glucagon (1-10 mg intravenously struyno, further 2-5 mg every hour in the form of long-term infusion therapy) to maintain the functioning of cardiovascular activity. You can also put the patient on his back and lift his legs.
If the main clinical symptom of overdose is hypotension, you need to enter norepinephrine (noradrenaline). However, during treatment very important the continuous monitoring of the characteristics of the circulation.
If the bradycardia is resistant to the treatments, illustrates the use of an artificial pacemaker. When bronchospasm prescribe beta-agonists in aerosol form (with a proven the ineffectiveness of the drug administered intravenously) or aminophylline intravenously. If convulsions should be slowly administered intravenous diazepam.
Since the overdose is severe, accompanied by shock, sometimes there is a prolongation of the elimination half-life of carvedilol and excretion of the substance from the depot, it is recommended that continuation maintenance therapy for a long enough period of time.
Interaction with other drugs
- Acetohexamide, Insulin – Carvedilol can reduce symptoms of hypoglycemia
- Citalopram – with simultaneous admission with this drug, bradycardia can manifest;
- The clothesline is a manifestation of hypertension
- Ciclosporin – Carvedilol may enhance the therapeutic and side effects of Cyclosporine;
- Digoxin – the effect of digoxin with a simultaneous reception with the described drug is enhanced;
- Dihydroergotamine, Ergotamine – ischemia with a risk of gangrene
- Adrenaline – development of hypertension and bradycardia ;
- Etravirine – when using both Carvedilol and Etravirine (an inhibitor of CYP2C9), an increase in the concentration of the active substance in the serum can be observed;
- Gliclazide, Glipizide – can reduce the symptoms of hypoglycemia;
- – risk of inhibition of renal prostaglandins;
- Indomethacin, Ibuprofen – a risk of inhibition of renal prostaglandins;
- Lidocaine – may increase the effect and toxicity of lidocaine;
- Piroxicam – a risk of inhibition of renal prostaglandins;
- Prazosin – the risk of developing hypotension at the beginning of therapy;
- Verapamil – an increase in the effect of both drugs.
Visit More: Coreg (carvedilol) Side Effects