After the disappearance of the clinical symptoms of the disease and normalization of body temperature, ciprofloxacin therapy is continued for at least another 3 days.
Check Also: (Cipro) Ciprofloxacin Side Effects In Details
Ciprofloxacin tablets are taken orally after a meal, swallowing whole, with a small amount of liquid. Taking tablets on an empty stomach accelerates the absorption of the active substance.
Recommended dosage: 250 mg 2-3 times a day, with severe infections – 500-750 mg 2 times a day (1 time in 12 hours).
Dosage based on disease / condition:
- urinary tract infections: twice a day, 250-500 mg in a course of 7 to 10 days;
- chronic prostatitis: twice a day at 500 mg for 28 days; uncomplicated gonorrhea: 250–500 mg once;
- gonococcal infection in combination with chlamydia and mycoplasmosis: twice a day (1 time in 12 hours) 750 mg in a course from 7 to 10 days;
- chancroid: twice a day, 500 mg for several days;
- meningococcal carriage in the nasopharynx: 500–750 mg once;
- chronic salmonella carriage: twice a day, 500 mg each (if necessary, increase to 750 mg), course up to 28 days;
- severe infections (recurrent cystic fibrosis, infections of the abdominal cavity, bones, joints) caused by pseudomonads or staphylococci, acute pneumonia caused by streptococci, chlamydial infections of the genitourinary tract: twice a day (1 time in 12 hours) at a dose of 750 mg (course of treatment for osteomyelitis can last up to 60 days);
- infections of the gastrointestinal tract caused by Staphylococcus aureus: twice a day (1 time in 12 hours) at a dose of 750 mg in a course of 7 to 28 days;
- complications caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa in children 5-17 years old with pulmonary cystic fibrosis: 20 mg/kg twice daily (maximum daily dose – 1,500 mg) in a course of 10 to 14 days;
- pulmonary anthrax (treatment and prevention): twice daily for children 15 mg / kg, adults 500 mg (maximum doses: single – 500 mg, daily – 1000 mg), the course of treatment – up to 60 days, start taking the drug It should be immediately after infection (suspected or confirmed).
The maximum daily dose of ciprofloxacin in renal failure:
- creatinine clearance (CC) 31-60 ml / min / 1.73 m 2 or a serum creatinine concentration of 1.4-1.9 mg / 100 ml – 1000 mg;
- KK <30 ml / min / 1.73 m 2 or serum creatinine concentration> 2 mg / 100 ml – 500 mg.
Patients on hemo- or peritoneal dialysis should take tablets after a dialysis session. Elderly patients require a dose reduction of 30%.