- Which cough syrup is better & how to choose it correctly?
- The choice of product for adult patients depends on a complex of factors, the most important of which are:
- How to choose the best cough syrup?
- List of top 7 best cough syrups for adults
- Ascoril Syrup
- Sinecod Syrup
- Herbion Primrose Syrup
- Dr. Mom Syrup
- Libexin Muco cough syrup
- BronchoStop Cough Syrup
Cough syrup is a dosage for eliminating the corresponding symptom in adult patients.
The pharmaceutical industry offers consumers a big range of different options for medicines that differ in composition and mechanism of action.
The selection of the drug is carried out taking into account the characteristics of the clinical picture in a particular patient.
Which cough syrup is better & how to choose it correctly?
The syrup is a dosage form that consists of a highly concentrated solution of sucrose with a diluted active substance inside. The bioactive components may be of plant or synthetic origin.
Syrups for adult patients are prescribed by doctors to treat dry and wet coughs.
Depending on the severity of the respiratory system disease and the nature of the leading sign, the doctor individually selects the most suitable medication.
Patients are often interested in which cough syrup is the most effective. It is impossible to give a definite answer to the question.
The choice of product for adult patients depends on a complex of factors, the most important of which are:
- The nature of the cough. To eliminate sputum and clean the bronchi, drugs are used that are ineffective in irritating the upper respiratory tract;
- The severity of the disease. Coughing, which occurs against the background of a serious pathology of the respiratory tract with the pulmonary tissue being drawn into the process, requires complex treatment with the use of multidirectional drugs to influence the patient’s body;
- The presence of minor diseases. Cough syrups may contain substances that are not suitable for a particular patient due to the progression of pathology of the liver, heart or other internal organs;
- The presence of allergies. With caution, plant-based products are used due to the risk of itching, rash and other manifestations of the corresponding pathological process;
- Doctor’s advice. Doctors have experience using certain medications and know which drugs provide a good therapeutic result. However, it should be borne in mind that in each case, the selection of funds should be carried out individually;
- Price. High cost does not always ensure the achievement of the desired result;
- Reviews Before using the appropriate drug for an adult patient, you should get acquainted with the opinions of patients who have already tried the medicine before.
How to choose the best cough syrup?
Choosing a good cough syrup when treating an adult patient is the key to a quick recovery with a minimum of consequences. The specified dosage form is convenient for the patient and tastes good.
Indication for use, which is the same for all types of cough suppressants, is a complex therapy of diseases of the respiratory system. It is important to consider that, depending on the characteristics of each pathology, taking certain medications may not be appropriate.
Most cough syrups have approximately the same list of contraindications for use, including the following situations:
- individual intolerance to the constituent components of the agent;
- diabetes mellitus in the decompensation phase;
- severe organic pathology of the liver or kidneys;
- peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum in the acute stage.
Despite this fact, syrups are characterized by a number of advantages compared to other oral dosage forms, which provides them with a strong position in the structure of cough medicines.
- Pleasant taste;
- The best digestibility. Carbohydrate molecules in the composition of the drug increase the permeability of the cell wall and enhance the absorption of bioactive substances by the body;
- Ease of dosing. The packaging of each cough syrup for adult patients contains a measuring spoon or glass with detailed instructions for use.
The disadvantage of the appropriate dosage form is the difficulty of using the drug in diabetics.
The risk of unwanted fluctuations in blood glucose concentration increases.
Cough syrup is one of the tools in the complex treatment of patients suffering from diseases of the respiratory system.
If the drug is used correctly, then the desired result can be achieved faster than with tablets or capsules.
List of top 7 best cough syrups for adults
Ascoril is a combined syrup consisting of salbutamol, guaifenesin, bromhexine, and menthol.
In addition to liquefying sputum, the drug provides an expansion of the lumen of the respiratory tract.
The menthol in the composition of the drug additionally calms the irritated mucous membrane, contributing to the rapid stabilization of the adult patient.
This is a central-action antitussive syrup that does not apply to opium alkaloids either chemically or pharmacologically.
It is intended for the treatment of dry cough of various origins. The syrup taste is like as vanilla.
You can use it before meals up to 4 times a day. A volumetric cap is attached to the bottle, so adults without problems measure 15 ml for themselves at a time. Up to 60 ml of syrup is consumed per day.
For a full course of treatment, an adult will need 2 bottles of 200 ml.
- effectively suppresses a dry cough
- does not contain dyes
- protection of a bottle against opening by children
- measuring cup included.
This syrup has an expectorant and mucolytic. It is effective for an unproductive cough that occurs with acute and chronic diseases of the respiratory tract, accompanied by impaired formation and discharge of sputum.
Syrup Ambrobene transparent does not contain dyes. His taste is not very pleasant, but a raspberry flavor is heard.
Includes a measuring cup. Dosage for adults 10 ml (2 measuring cups) at a time. In the first 2-3 days, take this syrup 3 times a day after meals, and in the other days 2 times a day. An adult will need 2 bottles of 100 ml per treatment course.
- quickly converts dry cough to wet
- does not contain dyes
- well-tolerated by patients
Herbion Primrose Syrup
It Contains active substances: primrose and thyme roots. It has an expectorant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial effect, helps to reduce the viscosity of sputum.
The syrup is light brown in color, quite liquid with a pleasant sweetish-grassy taste. For proper dosing, the bottle is equipped with a measuring spoon. Adults consume 15 ml (3 scoops) at a time 3-4 times a day after meals.
For a full course of treatment, you may need 2 bottles of 150 ml. If not all of the syrup is consumed, then after opening it can be used in the future throughout the shelf life.
- effective herbal expectorant
- measuring spoon in the kit
- long stored after opening
Dr. Mom Syrup
It contains extracts of 10 plants, levomenthol, and auxiliary components. It has a bronchodilator, mucolytic, expectorant and anti-inflammatory effect.
The syrup is an emerald liquid with a sweetish menthol-herbal taste. Adults take the medicine 5-10 ml 3 times a day. Given the fact that Doctor Mom syrup is allowed to be consumed for 2-3 weeks, the consumption for an adult will be very large.
In order not to make a mistake with the dosage, a measuring cup is included.
- a large number of plant extracts in the composition
- beautiful emerald color
- acts fast
- facilitates breathing, enhances sputum discharge.
Libexin Muco cough syrup
Libexin Muko is a French syrup. It contains carbocysteine - a mucolytic agent that reduces viscosity and increases the elasticity of the secretion.
It is effective in various acute and chronic bronchopulmonary diseases, accompanied by the formation of viscous, difficult to separate sputum. Syrup light brown with aromatic additive – “rum”.
Such a purely adult option and the children’s Libexin Muko is pink in color with cherry and raspberry flavoring. One measuring cup of the drug contains 750 mg of carbocysteine.
Take a syrup in 1 measuring cup 3 times a day between meals. The maximum therapeutic course is 8 days.
- pleasant “adult” taste
- noticeably facilitates coughing from the first applications
- effective in various diseases of the ENT organs.
BronchoStop Cough Syrup
It contains active substances: ephedrine (stimulates respiration, expands the bronchi), glancin (suppresses the cough center), basil oil (antimicrobial and antispasmodic effect).
The syrup is effective for dry cough that occurs on the background of bronchitis, tracheobronchitis, bronchial asthma, whooping cough.
The syrup is liquid, transparent with a pronounced herbal taste. Adults take it in 15 ml (1 tablespoon) 3-4 times a day. But it is important not to exceed the dosage during treatment, otherwise, headache and nausea are guaranteed.
The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor, but on average it is 7 days.
- suppresses cough reflex
- facilitates breathing, anesthetizes
- lack of dyes in the composition.