Procedure for the Use of Metoprolol
Metoprolol tablets can be taken immediately after a meal. But their use directly during meals increases the bioavailability of the active substance by 35-40%. Tablets are swallowed without chewing, but whole, with water. A long-acting drug is not desirable even to break in half, such a drug is desirable to buy the right dosage. The dosage of the drug is selected by the doctor according to the patient’s indications.
Adults and children over 18 years of age are recommended to use metoprolol in the following doses:
- with hypertension – 100 – 150 mg per day in 1 or 2 doses, maximum 200 mg;
- for the prevention of repeated infarction – 0.2 g per day in 2 divided doses;
- for the prevention of a migraine – 0.1-0.2 g per day, dividing by 2-4 times;
- with a hyperkinetic cardiac syndrome, including treatment of hyperthyroidism – 50 mg 1-2 times a day;
- at an arrhythmia – on 0,05 g 2-3 times during 24 hours.
To localize the supraventical tachycardia and in the acute stage of infarction, the drug is administered intravenously in a hospital. When tachycardia metoprolol is administered in single doses of 2-5 mg with a 5-minute interval until the desired effect, but not more than 15 mg. The drug is administered at a rate of 1-2 mg per minute. The dose of 15 mg, as a rule, does not exceed, because this does not lead to a better result. After localization of the arrhythmic attack, the patient takes the medicine orally 0.05 g 4 times a day. The first dose of the tablet drug should be given within 15 minutes after intravenous administration.
When metoprolol infarction is administered thrice on 5 mg every 2min. Then patients take the drug orally for 25-50 mg every 6 hours. Tablets are taken 15 minutes after intravenous administration.